This knowledge base article describes the background for creating custom Report Fields for the Noxturnal report system. It explains the different types of Report Fields and the possible conditions for further customization.
Primary type of Report Fields
Report Field setup can be accessed during a report configuration but also independently via Tool --> Settings --> Report Fields.
Noxturnal contains already a large library of predefined report fields, but in addition to these the editor allows creating new fields or to creating them based on existing ones.
To create a new Report Field the most important is to select the right primary type. Noxturnal lists the options in an alphabetical order.
Alternatively Report Fields could be differentiated by their target information such as time / events or signals. The bulletin uses following differentiation:
- Period related Report Fields
- Event time / duration related Report Fields
- Event count related Report Fields
- Signal value / property related Report Fields
Most of these fields have a descriptive name which clearly defines their information. For some specific fields there is extra information given.
Each Report Field has to have a unique name (“My new Report Field”) and can be added to existing or new custom Report Field categories (“My Custom Report Field Category”) to allow an easier search.
Periods related Report Fields
- Start time of period
- End time of period
- Total duration
- Total duration as a percentage of period
Event time / Event duration related Report Fields
- Duration to first occurrence
- Start time of first occurrence
- End time of last occurrence
- Average duration of events
- Longest event duration
- Shortest event duration
- Total duration in events
- Total duration in events as a percentage of period (e.g. Duration spent in Supine position as a percentage of analysis duration)
Event count related Report Fields
- Number of events
- Number of events as a percentage of reference events (e.g. Number of Apneas as a percentage of the number of Apneas + Hypopneas)
- Number of events as a percentage of their total (e.g. Bruxism events followed by Arousal as a percentage of all Bruxism events. When defining this type of field, use Conditions to get the filtered percentage.)
- Number of events per hour
Signal value / Signal property related Report Fields
- Lowest signal value
- Average signal value
- Median signal value
- Percentile signal value
- Highest signal value
- Standard deviation of a signal
- Total Signal duration (e.g. Total Duration of the Saturation signal where values are below 88%. When defining this type of field, use Conditions to set the Signal condition.)
- Total Signal duration as a percentage of period (e.g. Total Duration of the Saturation signal as a percentage of “Sleep Time” where values are below 88 %. When defining this type of field, use Conditions to set the Signal condition to get the filtered percentage.)
Lowest signal value during events (e.g. Lowest of the SpO2 values that occur at the lowest point of (all) Desat events) --> Noxturnal setup.
- Highest signal value during events (e.g. Highest of the SpO2 base values during (all) Desat events)
- Lowest signal drop during events (e.g. Smallest drop in SpO2 during (all) Desat events)
- Average signal drop during events (e.g. Average drop in SpO2 during (all) Desat events)
- Highest signal drop during events (e.g. Highest drop in SpO2 during (all) Desat events)
- Lowest signal high-value during events (e.g. Lowest of the SpO2 values that occur at the base point (which is the maximum) of (all) Desat events) à Noxturnal setup:
- Average signal low-value during events (e.g. Average of the lowest SpO2 values for each (of all) Desat events.)
- Average signal high-value during events (e.g. Average of the highest SpO2 values for each (of all) Desat events.)
- Highest signal low-value during events (e.g. Highest of the SpO2 values that occur at the lowest points (which is the minimum) of (all) Desat events)
Formatting of Report Field results
Depending on the type of the Report Field there is an option to select the format of the field.
For time and date based results the format can be selected from:
For (only) time based results the format can be selected from:
For all signal value based results the format can be selected from:
Conditions and combinations of conditions to Report Fields
Additional conditions can be applied on the primary field setup (set period limits, event associations or value conditions for signals). Noxturnal will automatically limit the list of available conditions based on the primary type of the Report Field.
Note: Multiple conditions can be combined for one Report Field but all of them share the same priority and are combined according a logical “AND”. Therefore all conditions have to be met. There is no “OR” combination between the conditions possible. The resulting Report Field will be available to use for reporting but not available (yet) to setup further variables (no cascading).
Overview of available conditions
The list of all available conditions is given in the picture below and most of these are self-explanatory by the name. Conditions with an intuitive use are highlighted in green and do not need further exploration. The red highlighted conditions which are based on specific associations between events will be explained in the next chapter.
Special time dependent association conditions for events
This type of conditions sets rules for time dependent combination of events.
There is a primary and a secondary event and the condition between them. Please note that conditions are generally met if just any part of the events (start, end, anytime during the event) meets the requested condition.
Noxturnal Report Field example (with multiple association conditions)
Below example demonstrates the use of some association conditions explained before:
In the library of Report Fields this variable appears with following description:
Adding and deleting conditions
After accessing the “Select Conditions” dialog the following actions are possible:
The same setup and change process applies to all customization for Report Fields. The very descriptive manner for the variables is one of the benefits within the report module of Noxturnal.
For questions or further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.